Friday, February 20, 2009

Retro Lions!

A local TV arts show did a piece on the Lions many years ago. (I can't remember what year, but long before I was in the band. Long before I'd ever heard samba, actually. I was still playing Hungarian 3-string bass in Seattle). They've just re-posted it on their website. It's a great piece:

http://www.opb.org/programs/artbeat/videos/view/240-Lions-of-Batucada

You can see some people that I mention frequently:
the "Andy" who was leading that parade - that's the Andy who's now the leader of the smashingly successful punk/vaudeville/marching band March Fourth, and also the same Andy who plays with Axe Dide. Great guy.
Derek - that's the Derek who's now got a great maracatu group.
Brian - this is of course the Brian who I am constantly mentioning.
Derek & Brian (in addition to founding the Lions & playing in Pink Martini) are part of the regular staff at California Brazil Camp.
The dancer in the white tanktop who goes zipping past the camera: that's Donna, director of Axe Dide.
The Brazilian dancer who is interviewed: that's Shayla (she is a really stunning dancer)
The girl w/the short hair on chocalho: oh my gosh that's Pauline! with short hair!!! super cute!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home