Sunday, September 14, 2008

Emergency kit

Ahhh, can't believe I'm out of earplugs again. About once a year I buy a 50-pack of earplugs and stash them in every single bag, every backpack, every drum case, put 2 in the back pocket of every pair of jeans, and tuck dozens in different places in my car. But one by one they disappear, get loaned to desperate friends & strangers, and then one day, wham! No earplugs and we're going on in ten minutes! I had to play a Lions gig sans earplugs last week. I thought I'd be all right because it was open-air, but it was horrific. I only survived by inching to the very back left corner of the bateria, as far from the tambs as I could possibly get. Pat discovered an emergency earplug wedged into her tamborim somewhere and gave it to me for my right ear, thanks babe.

OK, time for an earplug run and also got to pick up another drum key to add to my car's emergency kit, which includes:

Jumper cables
Flashlight
Spare house key
Drum key (drum tuner)
AA batteries (for sound recorder)
2 straps (1 for me and 1 for the inevitable friend who forgot his)
3 drumsticks (1 for when my right stick breaks - the left never breaks - the other 2 for the inevitable friend)
2 matched surdo mallets
1 pair alfaia beaters
1 tamborim beater
1 repinique stick
Extra tamborim for when I'm stuck somewhere with no drum.
Extra pandeiro, ditto.
Shaker egg, ditto.
Roll of tape for blisters

All this is under my passenger seat, all the time, plus the (to be purchased) 20 pairs of earplugs scattered in strategic little hidey-holes all over the car. I suppose I ought to have a tire jack or a spare tire or something too?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home