Sunday, September 14, 2008

wiped out and it's not over yet

I'm too massively exhausted right now to think straight (past 3am Saturday night and I still haven't made the study guides that I promised my class... nor set up Monday's physiology lab.. nor written Monday's lecture nor Wednesday's exam). Jorge Alabe's in town this week and that means, a constant flood of critically important rehearsals, private lessons, weddings and huge events always ending in some unexpected afterparty, huge pagode parties, Brazilians everywhere, thousnads of people singing, Shirley storming around yelling "CANTA, porra, CANTA!" (Sing, dammit, sing!) floods of Portuguese in my ears again, the delight of finding that I still understand it. Intense lessons from the Brazilian men in fending off Brazilian romantic advances (my favorite line this week being "You'll never really understand Brazilian culture till you learn how to sleep around like a Brazilian"), followed immediately by hilarious lessons from the Brazilian women as to how many useful items you can stuff in your bra at any one time, plus a great deal of completely unsolicited and extremely graphic advice on sex toys (all in very loud semi-drunk voices right outside the Portland Art Museum, for the edification of Oregonians everywhere. I swear I was not doing anything to start on this topic, they just launched right into it). And INTENSE musical high this week, including one of the best caixa lessons with Jorge I've had - totally fun samba-de-roda pattern - Viradouro's original ride and I'M MATCHING HIS SWING NOW, I really AM, it's really THERE, it was so reassuring - then attempting to attend a dance class and accidentally ending up on conga next to Jake Pegg, Derek Rieth, Brian Davis and Jesse Brooke, when they were short a player. Frightening. Looking around thinking, I can't believe I'm living in a town where I can play with guys like this. Then discovering once again Derek's phenomenal ability to encode quite a lot of information about your playing with just one slightly narrowed glance in your direction! Then Tanya's beautiful wedding tonight, third surdo for me, Dan and I somehow telepathically locking up so that we were practicaly always doing the exact same variation at the same time. And another party, and another party after that....

3am and terrifically far behind on my work. Tomorrow, 5 hours of rehearsal planned with Jorge and I'm already exhausted... I'm pushing it too close to the bone again, too far behind on my work. I shouldn't be doing all this music and I'll pay a terrible price come Sunday night. But who could resist a musical week like this? well, not me, obviously.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home